Five years for second man charged in 2017 double homicide

Andrew Bruyere pleaded guilty to two counts of manslaughter

Photo: Steven Chevrefils (left) and Jody Brown (right) were killed in a double-homicide at a house in St. Georges, MB

On April 2, 2020, Claude Guimond pleaded guilty to two counts of second degree murder and was sentenced to life in prison with no chance of parole for 14 years. On May 11, 2020, Andrew Bruyere pleaded guilty to two counts of manslaughter and was sentenced to five years in prison.  

“This investigation was an extensive undertaking that involved the expertise of multiple specialized RCMP units and partner agencies across Canada,” said Corporal Laura LeDrew, of Manitoba RCMP Major Crime Services. “It’s a case that has really affected the community, due to Claude Guimond’s stature as a community leader, educator, and role model. While I know the convictions do not bring their loved ones back, hopefully the families find a little solace in knowing that those responsible for the murders have been held to account for their actions.”  

On February 28, 2017, Powerview RCMP attended a home in St. Georges, Manitoba, after receiving reports of shorts fired. Officers arrived and found two male adults, 35 and 43 years old, deceased. Their deaths were determined to be a result of homicide.  

During the course of the investigation by Powerview RCMP and Major Crime Services, officers interviewed several witnesses, including Claude Guimond, a respected community leader and former school principal, who denied attending the residence and having any previous contact with the victims.

On March 2, 2017, Andrew Bruyere, was arrested and charged with the murders. However, new developments came to light, which ultimately led to the charges being stayed the following day.  

RCMP continued to investigate, and in October 2017, Major Crime Services completed an extensive file review where every aspect of the investigation was scrutinized, and every potential suspect re-examined. This comprehensive file review led to the creation of Project Distort.  

As part of Project Distort, investigators analyzed key elements surrounding the night of the murders, which led them to focus on Claude Guimond. They worked to determine and confirm his activities that evening. As Claude’s story began to unravel, officers collected a cast-off DNA sample, which was later determined to match DNA found at the crime scene. He was arrested and charged on December 12, 2018, with two counts of first degree murder.  

“The arrest of Claude Guimond brought a new perspective to Andrew Bruyere’s involvement in the murders,” said Cpl. LeDrew. “Through the course of the investigation, RCMP determined that on the night of the murders, Claude Guimond and Andrew Bruyere went to a home in St. Georges together, and left together after the murders.” 

Project Distort continued, and subsequently on May 6, 2019, Andrew Bruyere was re-arrested and charged with two counts of first degree murder.    “This investigation spanned 22 months and involved a number of innovative techniques to gather evidence which ultimately led to the convictions of Claude Guimond and Andrew Bruyere,” said Cpl. LeDrew. “We are pleased that this work has resulted in some closure for the families and the community.”

Leave a Reply