Running for RM of Alexander Reeve
- What do you cherish most about this community?
The beauty of our natural resources, specifically, our beaches, hilly terrain, forests, and river systems. From Cottage Country to Bird River it’s a perfect place to raise a family.
- Help us understand the type of leader you see yourself being?
I see myself being a strong leader driven by a high code of conduct, that guides my behavior in any situation. I am a good listener. I am consistent in my principals and am clear about my convictions. I have total commitment to the present and future of the RM of Alexander.
- What are your highest priorities for change in our municipality
Firstly, I would like to improve communications from council and administration to the tax payers as to what is happening in the RM. This would then allow everyone to make informed decisions and be a part of the decision making process. Secondly, I would like to improve on transparency. I would like people to trust and feel informed about what is happening in their RM. Communication and transparency are the two key ingredients in helping make a more positive and respectful atmosphere in the day to day operation of council and administration at the RM of Alexander.
- What are the biggest fiscal challenges in our municipality, and what do you envision as the best way(s) to address them?
We have many fiscal challenges that are being addressed currently, but the biggest one is keeping taxes down. Over the past 4 years I have worked very hard to stay within the budget. We currently have a surplus of over $1 million. I will keep fighting to keep taxes the same or lower.
- Would you advocate for any changes to the current boundaries of the municipality (for example through annexation, amalgamation, secession).
I would be open to hearing about any plans regarding changes to boundaries and having public discussions and input.
- Where is your permanent residence?
My permanent residence is in the RM of Alexander in Belair. My wife ,Karin, and I have resided in the community for 20 years and raised our 2 boys here.
- Please list any life/work/volunteer experience that is pertinent to the position you are seeking?
Past experience I bring to the position of Reeve is:
– Councillor for Ward 1 for the last 4 years
– Business owner for 20 years
– 34 yrs of public relations (RCMP, Park Patrol, U of M Campus Police, entrepreneur)
– Justice and Law (Univ. of Wpg)
I have a lot of experience in public relations that helps me understand what people want. This experience has helped me during my 4 yours as a councilor and will continue to help me as Reeve for the people of the RM of Alexander